Sunday, 25 October 2015

Editing my 2nd novel... Here's how I did it!


I have been busy editing for the last few weeks, and my 2nd novel has followed a similar pattern to The Monk who Cast a Spell. Here's what happened...

I wrote an initial draft of between 50,000 and 60,000 words. This was the bones of the story, and a manuscript I could edit. It began in notebooks; on scraps of paper when they weren't to hand, and all the words transferred then onto my laptop.


The 1st edit took the longest because it filled in the gaps; building character and background. A little more research was also necessary. I rewrote any parts at this point which didn't work well, and the word count increased naturally to more than 80,000 words.                 

I added background details and names, with further character descriptions, in the 2nd edit. This gave depth and credibility to the story. 


On the 3rd reading, I concentrated on punctuation and grammar, the unwieldy sentences which prevented the narrative from flowing.

I was comfortable by this time with the plot and chronology, so that in the 4th edit I was able to give the chapters the final numbers which they would have in the published book. 

The 5th and 6th edits were little more than a read through, with a word changed here and there.


And the title of book 2 came to mind as I was editing. I'll tell you what it is, in my next blog post... 

I hope you have a great week, Google+ Friends. Thank you for visiting the Hope and Dreams blog.