Monday, 28 April 2014

"Y" is for Yeats, Yarrow and more


The Huang He in China is known as the Yellow River because of the yellow coloured earth it carries suspended in it's water.


The evergreen Yew tree is native to the UK and commonly planted in Churchyards. It's become a symbol of immortality although the leaves and berries are poisonous. 


Yggdrasil is the Ash tree in Scandinavian mythology whose roots and branches bind together Heaven and Hell. It's considered to be the tree of life and knowledge, and of time and space.


A Year is a period of time occupied by the revolution of the Earth around the Sun, and the Yeh-Teh is the Tibetan name for the famous Yeti or Abominable Snowman. There's also Yule, our Christmas festival; York; Yoga; the yellow Yarrow flower and Ysolde, the heroine of the Arthurian romance.


And, William Butler Yeats (1865-1939) who wrote one of my favourite poems, "He Wishes for The Cloths of Heaven":

"Had I the heavens embroidered cloths,
Enwrought with golden and silver light,
The blue and the dim and the dark cloths
Of night and light and the half-light,
I would spread the cloths under your feet:
But I, being poor, have only my dreams;
I have spread my dreams under your feet;
Tread softly because you tread on my dreams."




Thank you for visiting the Hope and Dreams Blog. I'll be posting "Z" here tomorrow to conclude this year's A-Z Challenge.