Sunday, 6 April 2014

F is for Faery Folk



When the sunlight sparkles on a hot summer day it's easy to believe there is a faery world in the gap between the branches where a few wild strawberries have seeded themselves. It's the perfect place in the garden next to the old stone wall, and the neighbour's cat is sleeping, peacefully dreaming.


The Faery Folk

There's a deep dell
down amongst
the tangled tree roots,
where wild red strawberries
and fragrant leaves lie,
in dawn's dew,
the wine of the sunbeam fairy.

I can tell you now I saw them,
only that one time,
but they dance still
in the sun of old, lost
inside a day's dream,
the child's heartbeat

and that strange feeling I have
sometimes, when I look there.



I have always loved Shakespeare's "A Midsummer Night's Dream" and these lines in particular which are spoken by Oberon about Titania, Queen of the faeries:

"I know a bank where the wild thyme blows,
Where oxlips and the nodding violet grows;
Quite over-canopied with lush woodbine,
With sweet musk-roses, and with eglantine:
There sleeps Titania sometime of the night
Lull'd in these flowers with dances and delight..."

 

Thank you for visiting the Hope and Dreams blog. I'll be posting "G" here tomorrow to continue the A-Z Blog Challenge.