Wednesday, 2 April 2014

"C" is for Cherry Blossom, Coffee and St Columba


I look forward to seeing the beautiful pink cherry blossom every spring.

And I love chocolate and coffee. I would be lost without my first mug of coffee in the morning!

There's the Churches, Cathedrals, Celts and St Columba whom I've been researching for the novel I'm writing set in the eighth century.


St Columba was born in 521AD in Ireland and was known as Columchille meaning "the dove of the Church". He was to found many churches before his death on Iona in 597AD. He is said to have had miraculous powers, prophetic wisdom and was associated with the crowning of Kings, the spread of Christianity throughout Ireland and Scotland.


He wrote a number of prayers including the following:

"Be Thou a bright flame before me,
Be Thou a guiding star above me,
Be Thou a smooth path beneath me,
Be Thou a kindly Shepherd behind me,
Today and evermore."

Thank you for visiting the Hope and Dreams blog. I'll be posting "D" here tomorrow.