Monday, 31 March 2014

"A" begins the Adventure with an Apple


Welcome to the Adventure of the Hope and Dreams A-Z Blog Challenge which begins with the Apple, eating them as a child, memories of family life, the mythology and traditions surrounding this fruit.

The apple has been grown for thousands of years on small deciduous trees whose beautiful white, pink tinged, blossom is produced in Spring. 



It's captured the hearts of many over the years. I remember when I was very young Dad used to sing to Mum, "I'll be with you in Apple Blossom Time", a popular old song from the 1920's, and the apple always was her favourite fruit.

It's played a part in the research I have been doing for the novel I'm writing about Durstan, a Monk in the eighth century. I've been dipping into a world of ancient stories and mythology, religious traditions, where it's often a mystical or forbidden fruit. 


It began in Genesis, the biblical Adam and Eve story, and with the result that the apple has now for some become a symbol for knowledge, immortality, temptation, the fall of man into sin.



But a crisp red apple is wonderful to eat, and my favourite of the many varieties available.

Thank you for visiting the Hope and Dreams blog. I'll be reading as many blog posts as I can in April, and the Adventure will continue here tomorrow.